Blog Archive

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Speaking French!

Jennifer was so proud of herself at the bar yesterday afternoon.  We were sitting outside, having our Belgian Leffe beers, in the bright sunlight and a cool 55 degree breeze, when she decided to seek out the ladies' room.  When she went inside, she looked around, but didn't see the bathroom, so she says to the bartender - "Ou est le toilette?" (Where's the toilet?), and he grins and says to her "Parfait!" (Perfect!), totally mocking her in a good-humored way, then pointed her to the bathroom.

Yeah, there's no chance we'll blend in.  Though I do have to say a lot of people keep speaking to me in French, until I get that blank, panicked look on my face!  At the Biocoop Organic grocery store, I understood what the checker asked me, but then answered "Si!, uh, Oui!". Too late, my cover was blown with a single word!




6 comments:

  1. Hi, Vick. Sounds like you guys are doing well. We miss you two. BTW, has any French person come up to you and asked if you were "Nic Cage?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vick,

    U two look like u r blending in already. I bet a few months from now u will be conversational.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't already, you MUST read http://www.amazon.com/Me-Talk-Pretty-One-Day/dp/0316776963 -- I imagine it will be particularly apropos for you now. Also, listen to a recent episode of TAL, http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/165/americans-in-paris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked the same question in Italian and the respondent answer by giving me extensive directions in Italian, none of which I understood. I just had to go on an adventure to find the ladies' room. Vick, I can see why people mistake you for a Frenchman--especially with you neck scarf. Very French. Oui, Oui!

    Love ya'll.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photography is fantastic. Please give info about camera settings and any photoshop work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marvin - We did listen to Me Talk Pretty One Day in the car on a long trip. We've been to see David Sedaris twice in DC. Jennifer does podcasts while she commutes, so she told me about that episode of This American Life. Her favorite part was when an American living in Paris is riding the metro, and two Americans standing right next to him are saying how bad he smells in English, like it's a secret code language no one can understand!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts